Advice 3 year old extraction

hello everyone,

Our nightmare started a year ago. We went to the dentist they found cavities in two of her upper molars..
The pediatric dentist told us they would like to do a pulpotomy and put crowns on both, this happen in January.
Fast foward to May, my daughter started to complain about toothache (complain as irritable, cranky) so we decided to take her back to the dentist they told us they didn't see signs of infection, but to make sure they wanted to prescribe Amox.

We did that for a week. The pain was still present since she was still bitting down, and cranky at times. The dentist was hesitant and she said to wait it out see whay happens, happens two days later my daughters gum around one of the molars was completely swollen, you could barely see the crown at this point. I called them, they said there was nothing else they could do we took her to the Emergency room and well they had to papoose her and giver her a sedative, the tooth was infected and so they extracted it.

It has been almost 3 weeks since this happen, but for some odd reason my daughter keeps bitting down like it hurts her, there has been times she says it hurts..
We took her back to the dentist they said her gum was healing, nothing to worry about, they also said she had no cavities..

But im worried about the fact the gets cranky at times, and keeps bitting down like something is painful in there.

I guess my question is: is this normal? Is the recovery painful? What else could it be?
I'm sorry for how long this post is, thank you for reading.

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
You need to go back to (probably a different) pediatric dentist to have a look. But after an extraction it can take about 2 weeks before the gums heal, so since it has been 3 weeks, you need to have it looked at. You also can't take out the baby molars and then do nothing, because nearby teeth will tip into that new space and prevent the adult tooth from coming out. You need something called "space maintainers", so again, you need to go find another pediatric dentist to help you.

Vote:
You need to go back to (probably a different) pediatric dentist to have a look. But after an extraction it can take about 2 weeks before the gums heal, so since it has been 3 weeks, you need to have it looked at. You also can't take out the baby molars and then do nothing, because nearby teeth will tip into that new space and prevent the adult tooth from coming out. You need something called "space maintainers", so again, you need to go find another pediatric dentist to help you.
Hello, thanks for your input.

When we took her they told us, everything was fine i asked them if there was anything else to be done as far as the extraction site and they never mentioned a spacer, so yes I'm going to look into another dentist.
Also she says it hurts, today again i took a look and the hole seems smaller but still open, is that normal?

Thank You

Vote:
Your daughter is much too young to have these problems. It sounds like she and her parents would benefit from being instructed by the dentist on how to care for her teeth. Eating habits and food choices may also be involved. Pain is not a reliable indicator of anything. The best method for dealing with controversial recommendations is to simply get a 2nd or 3rd opinions from other dentists. She needs to see a pediatric dentist for treatment. It may be worthwhile to investigate the possibility of using a dental sealant on her remaining healthy teeth.

Vote:

Ask a Question