A 3 unit implant bridge to replace 4 teeth?

I'm ready for my implant restoration. This is for an implant bridge for the lower anterior incisors (#23, #24, #25, #26). My implants are in #23 and #26, abutments in place ready to go. The implants were installed by a periodontist, and I now am at a dentist who will make the teeth. When he examined me, he said I would need a 3 or 4 unit bridge. I said I had 4 natural teeth there originally, so how could I possibly need just a 3 unit bridge. (He only used his eyes to exam me, no measuring instruments). He told me it was a spacing issue, and the actual number of units will be decided by the dental lab. The lab will start with solid block of zirconia, and craft the bridge using a CAD/CAM system. Further information is that he will trying to do a screw-retained bridge, avoiding cement if possible. Is it true that sometimes they can only fit a 3 unit bridge where 4 natural teeth used to be? If so, how common is this? I am scheduled for my dental impression a week from now.

drmins

Verified Dentist
Available space can determine the number of units in a bridge . Don't be tensed about it,as it is no way going to affect the functioning capacity or strength of the bridge.

Good luck.
dr.mins

Vote:
Thank you Dr. Mins for your response.
3or4unit-bridge.png
Function and strength are very important, indeed. I'm not worried about that being achieved. It's just a psychological barrier, the idea of seeing 3 teeth where 4 used to be. If anyone has an actual patients after photo of a 3 unit case like the model shown on the right, please post here.

Vote:

drmins

Verified Dentist
It will be alright one you get them fixed there. If you are very much concerned,you can ask for a trial or wax up model from your lab.

stop worrying. keep smiling.:)
dr.mins

Vote:
Available space can determine the number of units in a bridge . Don't be tensed about it,as it is no way going to affect the functioning capacity or strength of the bridge.

Good luck.
dr.mins
I had 3 implants placed under a bridge 3 years on one of the implants is loose and painful.Help

Vote:

Ask a Question