$1500 out of pocket with medical insurance. Is this right? (wisdom teeth extraction)

Hi, my name is Marie. I need to have my two lower wisdom teeth removed. The oral surgeon that I visited me quoted me at $1500 out of pocket after my Delta Dental insurance pays. The practice is in network.

I called the insurance and a representative told me that Delta covers up to $1250 for the procedure. I asked the doctor's office to break down the cost of the procedure for me:

$650 first wisdom tooth
$650 second wisdom tooth
$750 anesthesia
$700 for a biopsy on a little bit of excess skin that they're removing from my gums (according to them they're legally required to send it in for a biopsy).
And the rest in administrative costs.

Does this seem correct or am I getting swindled?

Hi, I had a molar removed in February. It cost me $308. I have Delta Dental.
Check your anesthesia options. Are you getting a general (sleep) which costs more? If you have a local (awake) anesthesia option that would save you some money.
I've never heard of that biopsy add-on.
Regards-
Jim

Vote:
my son had 4 impacted teeth removed by an oral surgeon and it cost $2152 before dental and medical insurance kicked in. The dental paid $1872 leaving me with a balance of $250, but they billed my medical insurance for the exact same amounts and said I owed $745 also. What I don't understand is how they can charge the mdeical insurance for the whole amount they charged the detnal if my dental paid 90% of the bill?

Vote:

Ask a Question